Toothache is a pain that occurs in or around the tooth. It may not be possible to identify the source of pain at first sight. Regardless of the source, if you have a severe condition you should visit your dentist. Toothaches can be caused by:1. D...
Toothache is a pain that occurs in or around the tooth. It may not be possible to identify the source of pain at first sight. Regardless of the source, if you have a severe condition you should visit your dentist. Toothaches can be caused by:
1. Dental caries: It’s the most common cause of toothache. The main reason of tooth decay is poor oral hygiene. If cavities are not treated, it can result in tooth loss.
2. Teeth grinding: It’s medically called “bruxism” and it usually happens unconsciously during sleep or under stress. Clenching teeth causes severe toothache and headache over time.
3. Periodontal diseases: One of the most common causes of toothache is periodontal diseases. Most diseases don’t cause pain at early stages and this prevents early diagnosis. For example; toothache can be a sign of a gum disease getting serious. Periodontal treatments should be applied according to the patient's condition.
4. Poor oral hygiene and dental diseases: Oral health is affected by many factors from dietary to harmful habits. It’s necessary to be more conscious about dental health and clean the teeth & gums regularly. Personal oral hygiene should be taken seriously daily along with the support of dental clinics for a professional cleaning regularly.
5. Wisdom teeth: There is usually not enough space on the jaw for wisdom teeth. Teeth remain impacted and they cause acute toothache. If you don’t want to keep your molars as a replacement in the future, you should visit your dentist to remove them if dental surgeon suggests as well.
6. Malocclusion: Malocclusion is defined as "bad bite problem". It usually occurs when upper and lower teeth are misaligned or don’t fit on each other correctly. This is not a disease but an orthodontic problem. Malocclusion can be corrected with orthodontic treatments such as braces and Invisalign.
7. Fractures or cracks in/on teeth: Enamel erosion, fractures or cracks in/on teeth due to impacts are also among the possible causes of toothache. Treatment options are; teeth bonding, dental veneers, root canal treatment and in advanced cases; the extraction of the tooth which causes pain.
Toothache, Malocclusion, Dental caries (tooth decay), Wisdom teeth, Causes of toothache